Scriptorium Session #4
Time to share my work from last weeks scriptorium session. First up is warm-ups as usual, in addition to the daft-zebras pangram I used the famous typesetter’s pangram, with a little twist!
Next I practiced a couple of projects I had planned for the evening. I’ve done something like this before and I really liked how it turned out, so I thought I’d try it with some other songs:
Here are the two songs, just so you can hear them.
Unfortunately I forgot a word (can you find it?), so I’ll just chalk this up to practice. I also plan on experimenting with a horizontal layout, so we’ll see how it goes.
After messing up on the Morning Bird piece I drew out the guidelines for the Leaving of Liverpool, but I misjudged and made 4 lines instead of the 5 I realized I needed, and they weren’t in the right place aesthetically: if I added a line to the top or bottom the margins would be all messed up and I got a bit frustrated.
So I decided to switch tracks from italic and work on my gothic littera bastarda:
I must make a disclaimer here: I have never yet made a formal practice of the majuscule (capital) letters of either italic or the gothic hand so all the majuscules I’ve done so far have been rather on the fly interpretations of the ductus and examplars I’ve found. While not exactly a problem this is an inconvenience. I have not yet felt quite comfortable with the minuscules of either alphabet to move on the majuscules but I’m getting closer and closer, so we’ll see what the future holds.
I realized the Riddle of Strider wouldn’t quite fit on the page comfortably so I worked on something else: the opening paragraph of the Ainulindale, from the Silmarillion. Ever since finding the Quenya translation of the Ainulindale at quenya 101 I’ve had the idea of turning it into an illuminated manuscript and somehow incorporating the Quenya in the Latin alphabet (rather than in tengwar) as well as the translation and the original text. However figuring out how to incorporate four things into one document is proving somewhat challenging. So I’m going to do the tengwar quenya on one page with the original text on another page perhaps with the quenya in the Latin Alphabet inserted between the lines of the original, or maybe not. I’m having a hard time working it out, so if you have any ideas I’d be happy to hear them! Anyway here’s the start of the original Silmarillion:
I left spaces for the first decorated initial, although looking at it now it doesn’t look like enough space; and for the majuscule letters, which I want to do in alternating red and blue inks, to mimic medieval manuscripts. But it got smudged somehow, and is a little wonky so I’ll probably end up doing it again. I did get some new paper which I used for this piece, and I think it works pretty well (e.g. it takes the ink pretty well, not much bleeding/feathering). It’s from Canson and is called just ‘Calligraphy‘ an comes in a pad of 50 sheets and has four different colors, which is pretty cool; I’ve been looking for some cream/ivory paper so I don’t have to work on bright white all the time and this fits the bill!